Anyone who runs a full time business will tell you that time is precious. So much happens in a day and before long, it’s evening. I have felt many times that I wasn’t productive, but that’s not true. It only seems that way because I’m pulled in a million different directions. Thing is, even if I managed to post two earrings listings in my shop is an accomplishment. If that’s all I was able to do that day, great! No need to beat myself up for not doing enough!
There is more than just making products, I have to take time to promote and manage my business. The creating part is really where I want to stay in all day, but that’s not realistic. To make a business successful starts with the product, but it doesn’t end there.
So, is there an equation for making time to handle all the business’ tasks?
Unfortunately, there’s not a one size fits all, but I have some quick tips for what I do and maybe these can help you even if you’re not a business owner:
- Write it down. I get so many ideas every day and every time I think I can remember, I’m fooling myself! So, I keep a notebook nearby. I jot down my ideas and sometimes I’m rushing so it may be a phrase, but it’s enough for me to understand when I look back at my notes. Sometimes, I’ll doodle a quick diagram.
- Don’t spend too much time on solving one problem. I have a bad habit of doing this and what happens is I’ve spent hours on 1 problem while other tasks piled up. Take a break, regroup, move onto another task and revisit the problem later. A fresh look can be the perfect way to sidetrack your mind so the answer can come through easily.
- Update that to-do list. Check off those items from the to-do list as they get done even if only one is checked. And don’t use your list to write down everything in life you need to do. Make realistic deadlines for that day and anything that doesn’t get done goes to the next day, period.
- Don’t punish yourself. If you have 10 things to do in a day and you manage to complete 7, applaud yourself! That’s incredible! But, if you don’t complete but 2 items, applaud yourself, you get where I’m going. Don’t push so hard to accomplish everything on your list, sometimes it’s not possible. Instead, award yourself with your favorite dessert! In other words, try not to keep going and going and going, we’re not the “Energizer Bunny”!
- Give yourself a pocket a time per project. Most of us have several things going on at the same time. I do! So, I give myself a pocket of time that I will work on a project and that might be 15 minutes to maybe 1 hour. After that time is up, Stop. Even, if the project or task isn’t completed, you can mark off that you worked on it that day. Move to the next day any follow up you have to do to complete it.
- Take enough breaks. It’s important to get away, if you can…take a walk. If not, at least walk away from the computer or office for even 5 minutes. It helps to reset the mind and body.
- Be sure to get enough sleep and enough to eat. This is basic, but it’s important to say. We go so often and forget to take care of ourselves. I’ve been there! And, next thing I know I begin to feel sick. Keeping our energy is up is so important.
- Stop work at a decent hour everyday. I’m not morning person, my creativity seems to hit me at night. However, staying up till 2 AM is not the answer! I try to stop everyday around the same time which also means turning off the texts and looking at emails!
Hope these quick tips can help you. Number #4 and #5 are the ones that stand out for me the most! I also purchased a Happy Planner to help me with my daily to-do lists and that’s a huge help. Planners are great for keeping up with your schedule.